Florida’s year-round warm weather allows us to go out and enjoy a nice day on the boat on the Johns River, Indian River, and other waterways in Cocoa Beach. However, people can sustain severe injuries should the driver, passengers, or other parties act negligently and cause an accident. If you were in a boating accident, you might have incurred medical bills or took leave to let yourself heal—you shouldn’t be left to make up these costs on your own.
A Cocoa Beach boating accident lawyer with Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC can take charge of your case and seek compensation for your financial, mental, and physical damages. In addition to dealing with the legal aspects of your case, we will keep in consistent contact with you to ensure you are never in the dark and feel like you can come to us with your questions at any time.
Common Forms of Damages Cocoa Beach Boating Accident Victims Can Recover
The damages you sustain in a boating accident are unique to your situation, so we cannot say how much and which forms of compensation we can recover without reviewing your case in its entirety. However, some damages do overlap among cases, such as:
- Past and future medical care costs: For the emergency services, imaging screenings, medications, hospital stays, surgeries, medical equipment, and follow-up doctor’s visits
- Mental anguish: From the trauma of the boating accident
- Lost income: For the salary, tips, bonuses, commissions, hourly pay, employee benefits, and business opportunities you missed while you were in treatment
- Reduced earning capacity: For the difference in income if you had to take a lower-paying position or stop working altogether
- Pain and suffering: For the pain and discomfort you’ve endured from your injuries
- Wrongful death damages: For burial, funeral, and end-of-life medical care costs if you lost a loved one in a boating accident
The compensation you obtain from the liable party will allow you to focus on getting back on your feet without worrying about your financial situation.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Cocoa Beach, call 321-503-4014
How Boating Accidents Can Happen
When a boating accident occurs, it’s usually due to:
- Distracted driving
- Defective vehicle parts
- Speeding or going too fast for conditions, especially at night
- Environmental causes (e.g., poor weather conditions or dangerous waters)
- Intoxicated driving
- Driving fatigued
- Improper lookout
As a result of one of or a combination of these factors, your boat can collide with another, hit an obscure object, or run into a wave at the wrong angle.
How to Report a Boating Accident to the Authorities
Not every boating accident warrants submitting a report and/or retaining legal representation, but the U.S. Coast Guard mandates you report what happened if:
- Someone suffers severe injuries, or
- Someone passes away, or
- There is more than $2,000 worth of damages.
- The boat is lost.
You must report the accident to one of the following three places:
- Division of Law Enforcement, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation
- The Cocoa Beach Police Department
- The Brevard County Sheriff
Failure to report may result in a fine.
Cocoa Beach Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me 321-503-4014
Having Our Team Work on Your Cocoa Beach Boating Accident Case
Our personal injury attorney, Andrew Pickett, is ready to take on your boating accident claim. He was even a former prosecutor, so we’re not afraid to argue your case in a trial—Mr. Pickett has even tried to verdict more than 50 jury trials. What’s more, he values having a strong client-attorney relationship, as he will personally meet with you at the start of your case.
When you entrust us with your case, you can rely on our team to:
- Obtain and analyze evidence
- Talk to witnesses to get their testimony of what happened
- Keep in contact with other parties
- Establish who is responsible for the accident
- Settle your case through negotiations with the insurance company
- Assess your past and future losses
- Represent you at trial if we cannot reach a fair settlement
We urge you to contact our firm soon because Florida has time limits for filing personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits following a boat accident. Florida Statutes § 95.11 affirms that generally speaking, the deadline for the former is four years, and the latter is two years. If you delay your case, you risk the statute expiring, and as a result, you could lose your right to compensation.
If you give us adequate notice, we can ensure you comply with your applicable deadline.
The Payment Structure We Use at Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC
Affording a lawyer may be a concern to you. However, when you hire Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC to represent you, it won’t be. Our firm takes boat accident cases on contingency, which means we don’t require any upfront, hourly, or retainer fees to get started on your claim or lawsuit. Instead, our payment comes out of the financial recovery we secure for when and if we resolve your case.
You don’t have anything to lose when we work under this payment structure.
Our Client Testimonials Reflect Our Drive
No one can speak to how our team serves our clients like they do. Check out their testimonials:
“Andrew Pickett and Vonda Vassar helped me tremendously when I needed an attorney. They were there for me through my surgery and called to make sure I was ok during the whole process. Andrew even accompanied me to a doctor visit and Vonda was always quick to answer when I needed something. I highly recommend Andrew Pickett Law if you are in need of help.” —Chris V.
“Not only did they fight for me and for what was right, but they also listened and made me feel heard and understood. Andrew goes above and beyond with making sure you have all of the details of your case, explaining what is going on, and providing advice that is in your best interest.” —Cassie R.
Now, Attorney Pickett and his paralegals are ready to get you the compensation you need while providing top-notch client care.
Get in Touch with Our Cocoa Beach Boating Accident Lawyer
My paralegals and I want to learn about your Cocoa Beach boating accident and see how we can help you get maximum compensation. Call Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC today for a free consultation.