The injuries you sustain in a truck accident could permanently alter your way of life. You may accumulate piling medical bills, have to take weeks off work, and need assistance completing daily tasks. However, you don’t have to seek financial recovery on your own. A Cocoa Beach truck accident lawyer at Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC can seek compensation for your losses.
While you’re in treatment, we will investigate how the accident happened, prove negligence and liability, and protect your rights. We want to make sure you feel important and heard, so our lead attorney, Andrew Pickett, will personally meet with you from the start of your case. He’ll also keep in contact throughout your case’s progression, so you get peace of mind.
Forms of Compensation You May Recover in a Florida Truck Crash Case
When determining which damages you can recoup following a truck accident, your lawyer will consider each aspect of your case. For instance, we may consult with healthcare experts, accident reconstruction specialists, and economists to learn about your damages.
From there, we may pursue recovery for your:
- Past and projected medical care costs
- Vehicle repair expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Lost income
- Lost future earning capacity
- Burial and funeral costs
We cannot guarantee the exact amount you will recover from the liable insurance company. However, our attorneys will fight for everything you deserve, so you can move forward.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Cocoa Beach, call 321-503-4014
How a Cocoa Beach Truck Accident Attorney on Our Team Will Support You
With Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC on your side, we will:
- Promptly respond to your emails and phone calls
- Obtain the crash report from the Cocoa Beach Police Department
- Request dash cam footage, employment records, and black box information from the trucking company
- Update you on changes in your case
- Gather evidence and your medical records
- Establish the negligent and liable parties
- Communicate with the other parties in your case
- Fight for a fair settlement during negotiations
- Argue your case before a jury, if needed
Andrew Pickett used to prosecute cases, so he doesn’t shy away from going to court. What’s more, over the last decade, he has tried to verdict more than 50 jury trials.
We Advocate for You on a Contingency-Fee Basis
After learning about what our firm can accomplish, you may have concerns about affording our help. Yet, the team at Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC takes truck accident cases on a contingency-fee basis. There are no upfront costs to hire our firm. Your attorney’s payment comes from your case’s financial outcome—and we only get paid if you do.
Cocoa Beach Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 321-503-4014
Possible Responsible Parties in Truck Accidents
Multiple parties could have played a role in your truck accident, including:
The Truck Driver
Per the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), driver error is the top cause of truck accidents. Examples of negligent driving behaviors include:
- Driving too fast for roadway conditions
- Being unfamiliar with the roadway
- Driving while intoxicated
- Failing to check blind spots
- Failing to merge
- Failing to yield
- Distracted driving
In most cases, when the driver is at fault for the accident, they are not responsible for paying for your damages. Instead, their employer assumes liability due to “respondeat superior,” which holds them financially accountable for their employees’ actions.
The Trucking Company
There are instances in which the trucking company contributed to the collision. To illustrate:
- It could have pushed drivers to make as many deliveries as possible in a single shift. The FMCSA says that 10 percent of truckers feel under pressure from their employers.
- It may have failed to conduct thorough background checks on potential drivers.
- It may not have adequately trained drivers, making them unfit to drive for long periods.
- It could have neglected to enforce certain regulations. For instance, if a trucking company knew that a trucker regularly drove while intoxicated (but didn’t do anything), it could be liable for injured claimants’ losses.
Your lawyer can gather all necessary evidence to hold a trucking company responsible for your losses. This may include evaluating the trucks’ black box data, interviewing employees, and reading truckers’ driving logs.
Those Responsible for Ensuring the Truck’s Safety and Maintenance
In some cases, neither the trucker nor the company is responsible for the crash. Some other liable parties in your case could include:
- Employees in charge of loading cargo may have failed to properly secure the items on or in the vehicle.
- The maintenance company might not have checked the brakes or tires. These faulty vehicle parts may have led the driver to lose control of the truck.
- A government agency may have allowed a broken stop light or debris on the road to go unattended, creating an unsafe roadway.
Sometimes, a combination of these parties will be liable for the damages you suffered in the collision. If so, our truck accident team will pursue damages from each involved party.
The Statute of Limitations Affects All Florida Truck Accident Lawsuits
Even if you intend to resolve your case through negotiations, you must act within Florida’s statute of limitations. This deadline outlines how long you have to file a lawsuit. Consider the following:
- Per Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a), the state grants a four-year period to seek damages in court.
- Those submitting a wrongful death lawsuit usually have two years to file, according to Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(a).
Delaying legal action could jeopardize your right to recover compensation. However, if you contact us soon, we can work to ensure you meet the appropriate deadline.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get in Touch with Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC Today for a Free Consultation
After a truck collision in Cocoa Beach, you may feel lost, trying to figure out your next steps. At Andrew Picket Law, PLLC, our team will guide you throughout the legal process and strive to obtain the best possible financial outcome.
Call us today for a free consultation and to learn more about how our paralegals and I can serve you.