How Does Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage Protect You?

Auto insurance coverage is essential for all drivers on the roads in the United States. In most jurisdictions, you’ll need to have a minimum amount of coverage in two primary categories: bodily injury and property damage liability. Depending on where you live, you may need to have other types of coverage as well. 

Here in the state of Florida, you’ll also need to have personal injury protection coverage. And while other areas in the nation require uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, that is not the case in Florida. However, that doesn’t mean that you should neglect this important aspect of your insurance policy. Here’s what you need to know about this coverage type and how it works.

What Is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Unlike your bodily injury and property damage liability coverage, which comes into play when you are at-fault in an accident, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is designed for accidents that you did not cause. Even though auto insurance coverage is mandated by law, there are still drivers out there who choose to forgo coverage. While this is a major risk for them, it can also present a risk for you. 

If you are in an accident with someone who does not have insurance, you could be left to cover the costs out of your own pocket. Depending on the extent of the damage and your medical expenses, this could be a major detriment to your finances. With uninsured motorist coverage, your policy will take over where the other driver’s insurance should have. This type of coverage can also come into play if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident. However, it is crucial that you get the other driver’s license plate number, so do your best to make note of it before they speed off to avoid your claim being rejected.

Underinsured motorist coverage is similar, though it applies to accidents in which the other driver’s policy is not large enough to cover your medical bills or the costs to repair your vehicle. Underinsured motorist coverage will fill in any gaps between the other driver’s coverage limit and the remainder of your claim, up to the limit of your own policy.

How Does Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage Work?

This type of coverage is considered an add-on to your existing auto insurance policy. You’ll need to meet the state’s minimum requirements for coverage before you can add any extra options to your policy. In general, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is relatively affordable. It tends to be one of the cheapest options you can add to your policy, and it can also do wonders for your peace of mind.

Other optional coverage to protect your own vehicle could include collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. However, these options tend to be much more costly, making uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage an easier, more accessible way to upgrade your policy.

How Much Coverage Do You Need for Protection?

It is always smart to obtain as much insurance coverage as you can feasibly fit in your budget. This will protect you from having to cover any costs out-of-pocket in an emergency. This is true not just for uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, but for the primary aspects of your policy as well. Just because the state has set minimum requirements doesn’t mean that’s all you’ll need. Expand your coverage as much as possible so that you can rest easy, knowing you are fully protected.

Trust Andrew Pickett with Your Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Claim

If you have been involved in an accident involving someone with minimal or no auto insurance coverage, don’t take on the insurance company yourself. Insurance companies are notorious for minimizing settlements in auto accident cases. With personal injury attorney Andrew Pickett on your side, you’ll have the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries, whether from the other driver’s insurance company or your own. We invite you to reach out to our office today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case in greater detail. Call now to get started (321)-503-4014.

Call 321-503-4014 Message Directions