Motorcycle accidents regularly produce critical and life-changing injuries. If your life has been significantly affected by your motorcycle crash, you may have the right to compensation for your damages.
With help from a Rockledge motorcycle accident lawyer at Andrew Pickett Law you could hold the liable party accountable. Learn more about who could be at fault and what to expect from the claims process when you contact our office for a free consultation.
Damages You Could Recover in Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Motorcycle accident victims in Rockledge have the right to be made whole. This means you have the right to recover compensation for not only your financially based losses, but the ways in which your life has been affected by your motorcycle accident injuries. Damages can be separated into two types of categories:
Compensable damages are the types of economic damages and non-economic damages you are entitled to recover in your insurance and simple claims. Economic damages are monetary, while non-economic damages account for the ways in which your life has been affected by your motorcycle accident and subsequent injuries.
Common types of economic damages awarded in motorcycle accident claims include:
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Property damages and motorcycle repairs
- Current and future medical costs
- The difference when your insurance premiums increase
- Loss of household services including childcare fees and costs of hiring people to maintain your home
Non-economic damages may be more challenging to evaluate, as they do not have a financial value and affect each person’s life differently. However, some types of non-economic damages may be available more often than others. These include:
- Loss of protection, support, companionship, advice, love, society, and guidance
- Dismemberment or disfiguring scarring from burn injuries
- Chronic pain and physical suffering
- Emotional distress and trauma
- Reputational damages
Punitive damages may be available to those who have been victims of gross negligence or intentional acts. The court system must find the defendant’s conduct egregious to award punitive damages.
Finding the defendant’s conduct egregious makes it necessary to punish the defendant beyond the economic damages and non-economic damages they are required to pay you. Punitive damages are often used to send a message to Rockledge community members that these actions will not be tolerated by the court system.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Rockledge, call 321-503-4014
Benefits of Working with Andrew Pickett Law
Although going through the motorcycle accident claims process can seem overwhelming, the benefits of having attorney Andrew Pickett on your side are undeniable. Some of the advantages of choosing our legal team include:
- Regular access to and communication with your attorney
- A team of legal professionals investigating the cause of your injuries
- Legal advocacy you can count on
- An honest assessment of your ability to hold the culpable party accountable
Rockledge Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 321-503-4014
How the Motorcycle Accident Claims Process Works
Understanding how the motorcycle accident claims process works can help you feel less overwhelmed at the thought of moving forward with your case. It is more common than you might think for motorcycle accident victims to be hesitant to pursue their damages.
Many victims feel that the court system will not consider their injuries severe enough or accuse them of pursuing their lawsuit frivolously. However, once you know what to expect, your confidence should increase.
Here is an outline of how the motorcycle accident claims process works in Rockledge:
- Once you hire a lawyer, they will begin investigating your motorcycle accident.
- Throughout the investigation, they will gather evidence to establish fault and prove the elements of negligence have been met.
- Next, your lawyer will examine how your life has been affected by your injuries in order to determine how much your motorcycle accident claim is worth.
- Then, they may be able to file a claim with the insurance company if the defendant is protected by an insurer.
- Negotiations with the insurance company will ensue.
- Your case will have to go to court if the defendant is not represented by an insurance company or the insurance settlement does not cover your damages in their entirety.
Grounds for a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit in Rockledge
If you want to be sure that you have grounds for a motorcycle accident claim but you are hesitant about reaching out to a personal injury lawyer for help, consider the following:
- Did someone else cause your motorcycle accident?
- Have your injuries substantially impacted your life in any way?
If the answer to either of these questions is or could be yes, it is worth your time to contact an attorney to discuss your motorcycle accident. Your attorney will learn more about your injuries and how your accident occurred, and then determine whether you have the right to compensation for your suffering.
Reaching out to a Rockledge motorcycle accident lawyer for a consultation is free. There is no risk in contacting Andrew Pickett to find out whether you have grounds for an insurance or civil claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Statute of Limitations for Rockledge Motorcycle Accident Claims
Rockledge motorcycle accident claims must be filed before the four-year statute of limitations runs out, under Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a). It is important to contact a lawyer for help as soon as possible, however, because there may be evidence that is only available for a limited amount of time.
Evidence that could disappear with time includes CCTV, dash cam, or doorbell footage of the motorcycle accident, and witness statements that could provide valuable details that are later forgotten.
If your motorcycle accident lawsuit is not filed before the statute of limitations expires, the court system will bar your case from being heard. You can take steps to protect your lawsuit by obtaining a legal advocate as soon as possible after your collision.
Get Help from a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Rockledge Today
After everything you have been through, recovering the compensation you are entitled to should not be a hassle. When you have a Rockledge motorcycle accident lawyer at Andrew Pickett Law on your side, you can feel confident in your decision to seek justice.
Contact our office by phone or through our convenient contact form to meet with attorney Andrew Pickett and his team of paralegals as soon as today.