Every personal injury claim is unique, and the average knee injury settlement can vary widely depending on your injury’s severity and factors unique to you and your case.
Our legal team at Andrew Pickett Law understands how a knee injury can affect your life, from causing pain and suffering to preventing you from earning a living. If you suffered injuries in a motor vehicle accident, we could help you recover the cost of your medical treatment and other damages.
How Can a Knee Injury Affect Your Life?
According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, common knee injuries include sprains, tears, fractures, and dislocations. The more severe your injuries and treatment are, the more they can affect your life. Some injuries, such as a broken kneecap (patella), can result in surgery, weeks and months of recovery, and lead to chronic pain or limited mobility.
The impact of a car accident can cause knee fractures and other serious injuries. Our firm can help you recover compensation for damages and pain and suffering resulting from:
- Car, truck, and bus accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Rollover crashes
- Head-on collisions
- Sideswipe or “t-bone” accidents
- Single vehicle collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- Hit and runs
- Drunk driving collisions
For a free legal consultation, call 321-503-4014
A Lawyer Can Estimate the Value of a Knee Injury Settlement
So many factors go into determining your knee injury compensation that it is hard to estimate what your average settlement might be without consulting with you about your specific case. However, factors that you can expect to influence your financial recovery include but are not limited to:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The length of your recovery and whether you can work while you heal
- Your age
- Your wages at the time of your accident
- The extent of your physical pain and mental and emotional suffering
- The extent to which your injury prevents you from participating in hobbies and activities you enjoyed before your accident (such as sports, running, biking, etc.)
- The value of your vehicle or personal property damages
- Whether your knee injury is permanent or disabling
Our lawyers at Andrew Pickett Law can help you identify your damages and determine your future losses. To ensure we seek a fair settlement for your current and ongoing expenses, we can obtain testimony from your doctor, vocational experts, and economists. These experts can speak about how your injury affects your daily life and ability to earn a living.
- More than $2.5 million for a motor vehicle crash victim
- $500,000 for a bicycle crash injury
- $200,000 for a bicycle vs. pedestrian accident
Another factor that can affect your knee injury settlement is Florida’s comparative fault law, Florida Statutes § 768.81. The statute states that for any civil action based on negligence, the court can assign each involved party a percentage of fault. The court can then reduce your awarded damages based on your fault percentage.
For example, if the court finds you sustained $100,000 in damages but are 30 percent at fault. Your final settlement or verdict would be $70,000. Insurance adjusters know the law, so the comparative fault can influence any out-of-court settlement.
An attorney with our firm can attempt to increase your compensation by defending you against allegations that your actions contributed to your accident and resulting injury.
How an Attorney Can Help You Pursue Knee Injury Compensation
If you suffered your injury during a motor vehicle accident, you could first turn to your personal injury protection insurance (PIP) for medical coverage. According to Florida Statutes § 627.736, PIP can pay for 80 percent if necessary.
PIP also provides compensation for a portion of your lost wages and a modest death benefit ($5,000 per individual) if your loved one sustained a fatal injury. PIP does not compensate for property damages, pain and suffering, or miscellaneous expenses.
However, if your medical bills exceed your PIP or you have a severe injury, you may qualify to step outside Florida’s no-fault system and seek compensation from a liable party with an insurance claim or lawsuit. Our firm can help you recover:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages, benefits, and earnings
- Loss of your future earning potential
- Vehicle repair or replacement costs
- Monetary awards for stress, anxiety, mental anguish, physical pain, and reduced quality of life
- Compensation for the wrongful death of a loved one
Contact Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC
Attorney Andrew Pickett and the team at Andrew Pickett Law, PLLC can help you through every step of your knee injury case. From filing your insurance claims to representing you at trial, we can stand by your side and advocate for you and your family.
Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about the potential value of your knee injury settlement.