Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a personal injury lawyer cost?

Our fees are handled on a contingency basis. This means there is no fee unless there is a recovery. If we are able to obtain a settlement without a lawsuit, the fee is 33.3% of the settlement. If we need to file a lawsuit, the fee is 40%.

If I’ve been involved in an accident, what should I do immediately after?

First, move to a safe place so that you do not obstruct traffic and risk being injured further. Call the police and report the claim to your insurance company and document all physical evidence of the accident. Take photos of the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicle involved. Finally, seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Under Florida law, you have 14 days to seek medical treatment after an accident to qualify for personal injury protection (PIP) benefits. All of these steps will be helpful when thoroughly investigating your case.

What happens if I am partially at fault in a car crash?

Just because you’re partially at fault, doesn’t mean you don’t have a potential claim. The state of Florida recognizes Pure Comparative Negligence. We perform a thorough investigation of your case to see what percentage of the car crash you are responsible for. This comparison is assigned by an insurance company or a jury and can determine the amount you are able to recover when you are partially responsible for a car accident.

What should I avoid doing after a car crash?

Avoid giving statements to the other driver who was involved. Avoid giving recorded statements to an insurance company without an attorney. Do not delay medical treatment. It is important that you seek treatment as soon as possible. You have 14 days to seek treatment to qualify for personal injury protection benefits. Do not post about your accident on social media. Insurance companies love to use social media to deny claims and give unfair settlement offers. Finally, avoid accepting a settlement offer from an insurance company without guidance from an attorney.

What do I do if the person that hit me doesn’t have insurance?

Regardless of whether the at-fault driver has insurance, you may still be able to make a recovery. Speaking with an attorney immediately can help you determine what sources of insurance coverage are available. At my firm, we conduct a thorough investigation into insurance coverage for you, the driver, and the owner of the at-fault vehicle. We don’t stop until we’ve investigated every possible avenue for insurance compensation.

When should I seek medical treatment following a crash?

Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Under Florida law, you have 14 days to seek medical treatment to qualify for personal injury protection (PIP) benefits.

What do I do if I am involved in a hit and run crash?

Contact an attorney immediately to determine what avenues you have for recovery. In some cases, uninsured motorist coverage can help you receive compensation. Our thorough investigation can discover this type of coverage.

What is uninsured motorist coverage?

Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is an optional type of insurance you can purchase through your insurance company. It provides a source of recovery for you if you are involved in a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver. This coverage can also protect you if you are the victim of a hit and run. In the state of Florida, bodily injury coverage is not required. As a result, more than ⅓ of Florida drivers do not have this critical coverage. It’s advisable to choose uninsured motorist coverage because you cannot control the amount of coverage other drivers have.

After a car crash, what if I can’t afford my medical bills?

Personal injury protection benefits, or PIP benefits, are mandatory for Florida drivers. PIP is required in the amount of $10,000 and will cover 80% of your medical bills while your case is pending. Another avenue involves utilizing your health insurance coverage. Your health insurance will be secondary after your PIP benefits payout. Finally, a letter of protection provided by your healthcare provider can be issued. In this circumstance, your physician works with you and your attorney. Billing will be deferred until the case is settled. 

What should I do if an insurance company approaches me with a settlement offer?

Insurance companies try to settle cases as soon as possible. If you are approached by an adjuster soon after your crash, it is in your best interest to reject the offer and speak with an attorney to determine the true value of your case.

Is my case going to have to go to trial?

We are often able to settle most cases without going to trial. However, what distinguishes my firm from others is that I’m willing to go to trial for you. We treat every case as if it will go to trial. We do want to settle with insurance companies, but only if you are fairly compensated. When insurance companies don’t play fair, we’re ready to represent you in court.

How will I know when to accept the insurance company’s settlement?

Working with an attorney will help you determine if your settlement offer is fair. We take into account past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. As your attorney, we can provide guidance to help you determine if an offer is reasonable. If it’s unreasonable we can negotiate on your behalf and even go to trial if necessary.

What should I bring with me for my first meeting with an attorney?

You should bring every document that is relevant to the case, this includes but is not limited to:

  • Driver exchange of information
  • Crash report
  • Police report
  • Insurance policy 
  • Insurance cards 
  • Photographs of damage to all vehicles involved 
  • Correspondence with insurance companies 
  • Health insurance information and medical bills.
Call 321-503-4014 Message Directions